Humanitarian Reasons

How to apply for Advance Parole for HUMANITARIAN purposes

  • Visiting sick relatives
  • Medical assistance for yourself
  • Funeral service
  • Other urgent family-related purposes
  • Mission trips

Use the following link to view an example of how to fill out the I-131

To download the I-131 and the G-1145 (DACA recipients cannot submit Advance Parole online) go to:


1) Letter of a doctor that is treating you (or your relative).  The letter must include, the name of the doctor, where the clinic or hospital is located, how the condition of your relative is affecting his/her quality of life and how it will affect his/her quality of life in the future.  If you are attending a funeral or visiting a grave, include a COPY of the Death Certificate instead of the Doctor’s letter. AN EXAMPLE BELOW for the Doctor’s letter:

This is just a rough draft, the doctor may put whatever else he or she thinks is sufficient.

Translate and certify the Doctor’s letter, an example below:

2) Medical statements, could be bills, or a diagnosis with the name, birth, and condition of your relative or yourself, if applying for your own medical condition (optional).

3) Birth certificate of your sick relative to prove they are your family, it must be translated and certified (if unavailable, you may send an official ID or electoral card of your relative that indicates name, and birth date).  Include a copy of your birth certificate to show relationship.

An example on how to translate the birth certificate:

4) A copy of your passport (only the first page, where it indicates your name, sex, age and picture).

5) A copy of your employment card (work authorization card).

6) Two passport pictures (required)

7) Your l-797 notice for your I-821D (The pretty page that you received when your DACA document arrived) If you already renewed send your renewal l-797 notice NOT the initial DACA.  If you do not have this piece of paper, the copy of your EAD (work authorization card) is enough).

Example of the I-797 notice

8) A money order or check of $575 to U.S Department of Homeland Security

9) A “letter of request” also known as a memo, indicating where you are going, when you are going and why. An example below:

10) Form G-1145 (recommended) enables USCIS to send you E-mails and texts regarding the process of your case.

The form G-1145 must be on top of all your documents, then the letter of request, and third your I-131 form.

Send your documents on a big yellow envelope to:

P.O. Box 5757
Chicago, IL 60680-5757

or via Express mail

ATTN: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
131 S. Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

It does not matter what State you live in, all DACA recipients requesting Advance Parole must send the documents to Chicago (above address).

Please send your packet as certified mail at the postal office (it is safer).


ALL foreign documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation if they are not in English.  They do not have to be notarized. Additional resource for translating the Birth Certificate below:

Disclaimer: This information was not written by a lawyer but by very well informed individuals, if you need legal assistance please visit to find professional counsel.